DSP Thrs 10p-9a/Fri 10p-8a/Sun 12a-8a/Mon 12a-9a
Location: Union City
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Job DetailsLevelEntryJob LocationUnion City - , GAPosition
TypeFull TimeEducation LevelHigh SchoolSalary Range$12.00 - $12.00
HourlyTravel PercentageNoneJob ShiftGraveyardJob CategoryHealth
CareSUMMARYA Direct Support Professional (DSP) provides an array of
services which are necessary to support individuals and their
families with needs related to disabilities, mental health and
aging to live in community settings and provide services of
fellowship, care and protection. Such services may include
household work related to care such as meal preparation,
bed-making, laundry and other similar services. Supports are
individually planned and tailored to meet the specific needs of the
individuals we service. This may include working at multiple homes,
and locations. Direct Support Professionals are expected to
maintain professionalism and provide excellent customer service at
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interact with Individuals
- Talk to and interact with individuals respectfully; knowledge
of and sensitive to individual verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Provide guidance and assistance in order to engage individuals
in activities in the home and community in ways that are relevant
and in tune with individual choices, interests, and concerns.
Activities may include going to sporting events or out to eat,
shopping, swimming, and participating in exercise groups or church
groups and other social activities as determined by an individuals
- Work with individuals to discover and pursue personal goals in
keeping with their Individual Support Plans. (ISPs)
- Guide and assist individuals in learning activities of daily
living skills (ADLs) both in the home and in the community.
- Support individual relationships with family members, friends,
guardians and other advocates. This support may include, but is not
limited to correspondence and visits with family and friends and
coordinating attendance at special events such as vacations,
funerals, weddings and other celebrations.
- Support each individuals personal and family religious belief
system in the home and facilitate individuals attendance at
religious services according to individuals choice, if applicable.
- Interact appropriately and professionally with individuals with
regard to attitude, self-control, self -discipline, cooperation,
tone of voice, language usage, and in other areas as needed.
- Properly care for the house, furnishings and individuals
clothes and assist with making television, radio, and movie choices
according to individual interests.
- Transport individuals safely while following all guidelines
pertaining to regulatory standards
Support Individual Health and Well-Being
- Read and follow each individuals ISPs and protocols.
- At the beginning of each shift, read individual is
Communication Log, going back to your previous shift in order to be
aware of individuals status and activities.
- Make entries in Communication Log as appropriate.
- Provide guidance and assistance to individuals in their
personal hygiene and appearance in the areas of tooth brushing,
bathing, toileting, hair care including seeking/following guardian
permission/direction with regarding to haircuts and hair coloring,
care and selection of clothing and dressing appropriately for
- Be attentive to individuals medical issues and alert
supervisors and /or nurses to medical issues and/or changes in
individuals health and/or problems relating to medication or
medical equipment. Also alert day program staff and guardian as
- Follow medical orders and directions from medical staff and
supervisors concerning individuals health issues, treatments and
therapies and be attentive to details in those orders and
- Accompany individuals to medical appointments and to Urgent
Care and the Emergency Room as needed. Facilitate communication of
information between individual and medical staff. Assist individual
participation in medical exams.
- Assist individuals in and out of the bathtub, the van,
furniture and in other situations as needed. This may involve
awkward, heavy lifting. Use a mechanical lift or other lifting
methods for moving individuals who require them.
- Carry Out Safety, Meal Preparation and Cleaning Procedures
- Safety and Emergency Response: follow all policies, procedures
and training related to safety and emergency response.
- Assist individuals in evacuation drills and emergencies in the
home and in the community; this may include lifting and/or carrying
individuals who are on ambulatory, non-compliant or for other
reasons unable to move to safety.
- Clear walkways, fire exits and driveways of snow and ice as
- Know how to use fire-related equipment such as extinguishers
and alarms as trained.
- According to the individuals ISP, assist them with the
appropriate adaptive equipment.
- Be familiar with all medical equipment used in the home
including mechanical lifts and lifting methods.
- Meals, Food Handling and Preparation
- Assist individuals with meal planning, shopping for groceries,
food preparation, and cleanup as needed.
- Prepare meals following the regulatory standards and menu and
nutrition guidelines provided.
- Share food and table conversation with individuals in family
style meals when possible.
- Assist individuals with eating as needed.
- Clean up table, food prep area, and dishes per regulatory
- Clean the kitchen appliances according to cleaning checklists.
- Label food per regulatory standards.
- Maintain a safe, clean and orderly home and company vehicle by:
- Putting things away after use;
- Follow the Cleaning checklist;
- Refueling and maintaining company vehicle and completing
vehicle documentation as required.
- Take care of laundry and bedding: Wash, dry, fold and put away
clothes and other laundry in proper locations; change and launder
wet or soiled bed sheets and disinfect bed when necessary,
according to regulatory standards.
- Seek and Follow the Advice and Directions of SupervisorsYou
must seek the advice of a Home Supervisor, Coordinator or the
Director of the department, where applicable, when you have
questions concerning your performance of the functions of your job.
You must follow directions and assignments given by a supervisor
concerning performance of functions of this position.
- Work Effectively with CoworkersYou must work with coworkers as
a team player. You must communicate with coworkers both verbally
and in writing. You must recognize and respond appropriately to
nonverbal and situational cues from coworkers, such as when there
is a need for physical assistance with individual care or verbal
reinforcement relating to a behavior issue. When problems or
emergencies arise, you must be willing and able to adapt to the
needs of the group in the working environment.
- Present a Positive Attitude and ProfessionalismPresent a
positive attitude and maintain professionalism regarding all
InCommunitys information (within the home, between homes and
outside the company) regarding individual, staff and company
issues. This means refraining from inappropriate comments or
- Adhere to Scheduling PoliciesYou must be punctual and ready to
start your shift at designated times and you must continue working
until you are replaced by another staff person.
- Adhere to Company Policies and ProceduresAdhere to all company
policies and procedures as stated in the current InCommunity
Employee Handbook, InCommunitys Policies and Procedures binder or
FOR OVER NIGHT SHIFTS ONLYIn addition to the Essential Functions
listed above, the following functions have been determined to be
essential to the successful performance of awake night shifts.
- Follow the Over Night Shift Checklist.
- Stay awake and alert at night.
- Follow the house-specific Over Night Shift Checklist it
pertains to individual; specifically:
- Check on individuals during the night as directed in their
ISPs. Assist them if needs arise that require your help or
- Assist individuals with their morning routines when your shift
includes those hours.
- Follow the protocols for when individuals are sick.
- Notify supervisor for individual health-related
- Follow the house-specific checklist regarding cooking, cleaning
and any other household duties which are to be completed during the
over night shift.
- Other duties as assigned.REQUIREMENTSMust be 23 years of age or
older, possess a valid drivers license, valid insurance and
specific plan for transportation, if
required.EDUCATION/EXPERIENCESix months experience in developmental
disabilities, mental health, or aging, with the focus being in
community based programs and knowledge of family systems, person
centered programs and structures is preferred. Personal and /or
volunteer experience is considered for employment.
Keywords: INCOMMUNITY, Union City , DSP Thrs 10p-9a/Fri 10p-8a/Sun 12a-8a/Mon 12a-9a, Other , Union City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!