Senior Biocuration Scientist
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Union City
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Stanford University Department of Genetics has an excellent
opportunity available as a part of the Lattice team, the data
coordination center for the data generated by Chan Zuckerberg
Initiative-funded Human Cell Atlas (HCA) Seed Networks. The HCA is
a worldwide effort to characterize and map all cells in the human
body using high-throughput, high-resolution technology, including
single-cell genomics and imaging assays, and the Seed Networks are
a foundational component of that effort. The vast amount of data
that will be generated by the Seed Networks will be made freely
accessible to the entire scientific community and will be
integrated towards a reference map of the human body. This
reference resource will make fundamental contributions to our
understanding of human biology, disease, and treatments. Lattice is
primarily responsible for collaborating with data generators to
wrangle data into the Lattice database and subsequently into
community resources, as well as interacting with the scientific
community to ensure data meet reuse requirements.
The Senior Biocuration Scientist will join a team of Ph.D.
biologists, computational biologists, experienced database managers
in the Cherry Lab, and will collaborate with HCA data generators
and data integrators to ensure data are made accessible to the
scientific community and are suitable for reuse. The successful
candidate will be able grasp large, complex research and
discussions, and place specific experiments into the context of the
greater scientific community to identify and communicate key
experimental variables. They will form collaborative relationships
with HCA researcher and will engage with the community, through
published research and at scientific conferences, to understand the
needs of data generators and data users. They will distill those
needs into data resource requirements and features that will
improve the accessibility and usability of data to researchers
We look forward to adding a motivated contributor towards our
mission as a part of this ground-breaking project.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Doctor of Medicine, Pharmacy, or Doctor of Philosophy in scientific
field and three years of relevant experience, or combination of
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases, data
integration, and statistics.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet
- Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental
procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (DESIRED):
- Technical expertise in genetics, molecular biology, and/or
- Experience with laboratory methods in genomics.
- Familiarity with modern high-throughput genomics and proteomics
experiments and their data types.
- Familiarity with controlled vocabularies and ontologies.
- Experience with computer programming (scripting).
- Experience with data quality assessment.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and
use light/ fine grasping. Occasionally stand, walk, and write by
hand, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh up to 10
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or
business needs. Occasional local travel may be required.
- Some work may be performed in a laboratory setting.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4103
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: F
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 90371 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Union City , Senior Biocuration Scientist, Other , Union City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!