Biostatistician 2 (Hybrid Opportunity)
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Union City
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Stanford University is located between San Francisco and San
Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley. It is one of the
world's leading teaching and research Universities. Stanford is
dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing
students for leadership in a complex world. Supporting that mission
is a staff of more than 10,000, which is rooted in a culture of
excellence and values, innovation, collaboration, and life-long
The Department of Anesthesiology, Pain and Perioperative Medicine
at Stanford University is seeking a Biostatistician 2. This
position will operate with some independence, consulting with
investigators to refine research questions, define hypotheses,
design studies and devise analysis plans. Will collaborate with
senior statistician(s) to implement analysis plans and publish
findings. This role will present results orally to clinical
investigators, and provide guidance to clinical investigators on
design and analysis issues. This position will be part of a new
data science initiative within the clinical and research arms in
the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine.
This individual will join a new team with direct access to clinical
resources, clinical datasets, and data generated from cutting-edge
research in translational medicine to create new analyses and
visualizations as we empower data-driven clinical care.
Stanford School of Medicine, and the department of Anesthesia are
committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for its staff,
residents, fellows, & faculty. We aim to recruit, support, retain,
& promote diversity.
To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers
career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market
trends and benefits that increase financial stability and promote
healthy, fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford
offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance
- Design study.
- Develop and implement protocol for quality control.
- Create analytic files with detailed documentation.
- Select appropriate statistical tools for addressing a given
- Implement data analysis through statistical programming.
- Present results for investigators using graphs and tables.
- Summarize findings orally and in written form.
- Participate in the preparation of papers for publication.
- Consult with investigators on appropriate statistical
approaches to data analyses; assist in study design and proposal
- Mentor collaborators in areas of experimental design, quality
control, and statistical analysis
- Develop oral and written dissemination of findings for
conference presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Oversee lower-level staff on issues related to quality control
and creation of analysis files.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Master's degree in computer science, machine learning,
biostatistics, statistics or related field and at least 3 years of
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- High levels of skill with common statistical analyses performed
on biological and clinical datasets. Familiarity and experience in
understanding key pitfalls related to such analyses (appropriate
statistical tests, methods for high dimensional datasets, multiple
hypothesis testing, appropriate distributional assumptions)
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms and the process of
training/validating machine learning models
- Experience with data visualization (matplotlib, seaborn,
ggplot2), interactive data visualization tools (Flask, Plotly,
Shiny), and building data visualization dashboards.
- Exposure to common bioinformatics approaches
- Exposure to clinical informatics
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, seated work and
use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push
pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or
business cycle needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, .
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5522
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 93991 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Union City , Biostatistician 2 (Hybrid Opportunity), Other , Union City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!